IPTV, on the Way to Surpass Pay TV in Less than Five Years
Digital TV Research, a company that since 2011 conducts studies for the television industry, has just published a new study that indicates that IPTV will gain 63 million subscribers in the next 5 years, which would bring the number of users to 398 million . On the other hand, according to the same report, pay TV would lose 417 million users and would be left with a total of 389 million during the same period of time.
According to the report, the main reason for this change is China, which expects to add 19 million new IPTV subscribers between 2021 and 2026 to reach a total of 226 million. The giant Asian country would also lose 39 million pay TV subscribers in the same period of time and end the year 2026 with 89 million users of that service.
The IPTV market was valued at $ 72.24 billion in 2020 and by 2026 it is expected to grow to approximately $ 194.21 billion.
Why is IPTV on the way to lead the market and what are the main characteristics of this technology?
First of all, it is important to clarify that IPTV means Internet Protocol TV and it is basically a way of transmitting television over the Internet, different from streaming platforms such as Netflix or Disney Plus, among others. IPTV was developed on the basis of video-streaming technology so you do not have to wait for any type of file to be downloaded to watch television channels, since the load is done continuously through the Internet.
Main features of IPTV technology:
- Provides higher image quality, more channels and higher definition, thanks to the bandwidth.
- The technology allows parental or content filters to be applied to prevent children from accessing inappropriate content.
- Allows access to content without installing antennas, and in most cases does not require extra equipment as it can be played on smart TVs.
- Thanks to mobile applications, IPTV is available anywhere and at any time via applications installed on smartphones.
- In IPTV the content is more specific, which allows users to find channels dedicated to specific topics, such as movies, sports and music. In the case of music, you can find specific channels for each music genre.
- For advertisers, IPTV offers very interesting possibilities thanks to content segmentation. This makes the advertising can be directed to the desired users and the return on investment is more evident.
Otter Video is an IPTV specialist in North America. Contact us if you want to enjoy its advantages or need more information on this subject. Our experts will contact you as soon as possible.